Cost of doing business
Real estate costs:
Real estate costs to be considered include:
- Private property ownership (Eigendom = Grondbelasting)
- Commercial long term land lease (Erfpacht = Erfpachtscanon)
- Short term land lease (Huurgrond = Huur)
The average commercial rent in Aruba is Awg. 25,- per m2*.
(* calculation is based on samples collected by The Department of Economic Affairs, Trade & Industry and is not an exact indication)
N.V. Elmar new rates structure:
Small Commercial Rate
Large Commercial Rate
|Fixed rate||Awg. 9,50||If the contract minimum is exceeded, the measured kVA must be billed. If the contract minimum is 650 kVA and the measured kVA is 700, then a fixed rate of 700 x Awg. 9,50 will be charged to the account.|
The water tariff for commercial use is Awg. 9,50 per m3.
Gas for commercial use excluding installation costs are Awg. 125,- per gas cylinder and Awg.146,70 per refill.
Telecom & Broadband
Registration fee & annual contribution costs:
New businesses are subject to paying a registration fee upon registration at the Chamber of Commerce and Industry Aruba and an annual contribution fee.
The registration fee and annual contribution are based on the total amount of capital invested in the business as appearing in the Chamber’s records on the 1st of January of each following year and is determined by the Minister of Economic Affairs according to the Ordinance on the Chamber of Commerce & Industry Aruba, art. 21, paragraph 1, c (NL). The Chamber of Commerce registration and annual contribution fee scheme may help you determine the amount that you will have to pay upon registering your business.
Social security premiums:
Old Age and Widow/Orphans Insurance (AOV/AWW)
At the age of 65, every citizen is entitled to an old age pension. The contribution for the old age and widow/orphans insurance is 13.5% of the annual income, of which the employee contributes with 4% and the employer with 9.5%. The maximum annual employer’s contribution amounts to Awg. 6,180, which is related to a maximum annual income of Awg. 65,052.
In the case of a self-employed person, the contribution is 13.5%. The maximum annual contribution of a self-employed amounts to Awg. 8.782.
The monthly contribution has to be transferred by the employer before the 15th of the following month to the Tax Collector’s Office.
General Health Insurance (AZV)
Wage compensation insurance:
Supplemental wage (Reparatie toeslag)
Health insurance (Ziekteverzekering)
The employer must insure each employee earning up to an annual maximum of Awg. 54,600,- for wage compensation due to an illness or accident. The contribution for this insurance is 2.65% of the employee’s salary and is paid fully by the employer. Employees earning more than Awg. 54.600,- are not insured by the Sociale Verzekerings Bank (SVB).
Accident Insurance (OV)
An employer must insure each employee for on-the-job accidents, regardless of the employee’s income. The contribution rate is not standard, but differs from industry to industry. Employers pay between 0.25% and 2.5% of the employee’s salary up to a maximum annual income of Awg. 54.600,-. The monthly contribution has to be transferred by the employer before the 15th of the following month to the Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB).
One time monetary compensation (Cessantia)
Mandatory general pension
Corporate or Profit tax (winstbelasting) is levied on:
- The profits of resident Limited Liability Companies, Aruba Exempt Companies, Limited Partnerships, and other companies or associations of which the capital is wholly or partly divided into shares, member associations and mutual insurance companies;
- The profits of associations, of which the capital is not divided into shares, and foundations other than those exclusively for the protection of a general social interest, resided in Aruba;
- The profits of entities established outside of Aruba (including all companies and associations, of which capital is wholly or partly divided into shares), performed through a permanent establishment in Aruba, from immovable property situated in Aruba, as well as profits from securities not in the ordinary course of business of the company, if the principal is secured by a mortgage on the mentioned property.
Dividend withholding tax (Dividend belasting)
Wage tax (Loonbelasting)
Income tax (Inkomstenbelasting)
Tourist and environmental levy (Bijzondere belasting verblijf)
Turnover tax (BBO)
Gaming tax (Speelvergunningsrecht belasting)
Road tax (Motorrijtuigbelasting)
Real estate property tax / Ground tax / Land tax (Grondbelasting)
Transfer tax (Overdrachtsbelasting)
Stamp tax (Zegelbelasting)
Imputation Payment Companies (Imputatiebetaling)
Special zone San Nicolas
Administrative and legal costs of doing business
Advice & incorporation costs
Costs of Incorporation
The main expenses incurred in forming a company are:
- Civil law notary’s fee: depending on the authorized capital and the work involved;
- Stamp duty on the ministerial declaration of no-objection on the articles of incorporation and the registration of these articles: approximately Awg. 300;
- Initial registration in the Commercial Register payable to the Chamber of Commerce and Industry Aruba: depending on the paid-up capital;
- Publication in the Official Gazette: approximately Awg. 40;
- A business license: Awg. 400; (pre-payment)
- Each director’s license: Awg. 400; (pre-payment)
- For a complete list of other fees, if situation applies, see ‘Legesbesluiten DEZHI‘
Accounting & audit costs
An accountant can help you analyze your income and expenses to give you control over your cash flow. Your accountant is a financial advisor providing professional services that businesses need all year long – not just at tax time. Consult him or her when you first decide to start a business, for an annual check-up, when considering an expansion or when you need ongoing support. For more information about how an accountant can help you may review the accounting network.
Filing for bankruptcy
Foreign bankruptcy claim
- Maximum price list: 16 october 2021 October 21, 2021
- Announcement new maximum prices: 16 october 2021 October 21, 2021
- Macuto di Compras: 16 oktober 2021 October 15, 2021
- Macuto di Compras: 9 oktober 2021 October 15, 2021
- New gasoline price publication: 13 october 2021 October 13, 2021
- Macuto di Compras: 2 oktober 2021 October 4, 2021